Much of the Spanish speaking Caribbean was hit by Hurricane Gustav as was Haiti. Less than a week later Hurricane Hana and Tropical Storm Fay pounded Haitian mountainsides, flooding homes and roads and washing away hope of recovery from Gustav. The death toll is over 100 people and the damage is extensive. The UN has already dispatched emergency assistance. As I find out where or how you can help, I will let you know.
Today, Hurricane Ike hit with no defenses left. 5 children drowned in their homes as the waters rushed in. The total dead at the end of these two weeks is approaching 300 in Haiti alone. There is now talk that both rice and banana production, staples in the nation’s food supply and mnc-run employment sector maybe permanently damaged.
Ike now turns toward Cuba, also hard hit but Gustav.
My thoughts are with them both.
Places to Donate:
- MADRE – women’s organizing
- Cloak’d “Positivity Moves t-shirts” – buy the “Positivity Moves” shirts 100% proceeds go to Haitian reliefDoctor’s Without Borders – designate your donation go to Haiti (they have multiple options for giving and getting involved)
- World Relief – is on the ground and already helping, they need donations
- World Concern – also already on the ground working
- Partners in Health – medical aid (website also has a lot of up-to-the-minute info on floods)
AP Photo/Ariana Cubillos