For those who do not already know, a 28 year old, black, lesbian, mother was gang raped by 4 assailants who targeted her because of a rainbow sticker on her car.
According to the rape survivor, the rapists told her the assault was because she was a lesbian prior to and during their 45 minute long brutal attack. When someone approached the vehicle, the assailants forced her into her car and then drove to a nearby apartment complex parking lot where they raped her again. They finally let her go, but not after ejecting her from the car naked and driving off with the vehicle, which they abandoned some time later that evening. They obviously did not want the car but rather wanted her to be found naked and alone.
The police have released a description of the attackers, based on the survivor’s description, as follows:
- Latino, 5’6″, 180lb, dark hair and mustache, mid-30s
- African American male, 5’10”, 170 1bs, dark hair and brown eyes, 20s, nickname “blu”
- Latino, 18-20, nickname “pato”
These nicknames were used during the assault and may or may not be used in real life.
Ways you can help:
- If you have any information call Detective Ysenia Rogers at (510) 672-1718
- You can make contributions to assisting her, her partner, and their 8-year-old daughter at:
Community Violence Solutions
2101 Van Ness Ave.,
San Pablo, CA 94806
Attn: Mrs. Joanne Douglas
- Send a sympathy and solidarity card to the Richmond Police Department
Attn: Sgt. Brian Dickerson
1701 Regatta Blvd.
Richmond, CA 94804
Please also take time out to read this amazing post about the film Milk, the connection between race and gender normativity in popular conceptions of queerness, and this attack from the always brilliant Melissa Harris Lacewell.