Inspired by a post/conversation at Flip Flopping Joy, about the problems with capitalism, I promised to start a meme today about the books you would gift the President and his cabinet if you could. (I use the word “gift” as a verb in the anthropological sense in which it obligates receiver and giver to one another for mutual benefit & to hopefully avoid the perception that somehow the President needs educating. He is a brilliant and well read man, which is why a gift of books seems so apropos. Wouldn’t it be great if the press had to stop talking about those Lincoln memoirs he is caring around and start talking about something he picked up at a feminist press?)
The Rules: What books would you give the Obama administration to help them be more radical about or better prepared to handle the issues you think are essential to global equality? You can pick as many books as you want, tap as many people as you like.
The Bonus: If your suggestion just happens to be a book I have more than 2 copies of, I might just pull it off my shelf and start an actual box to send along.
My List (partly formed from the discussion at bfps)
- Shiva Earth Democracy
- Golden The Women Outside
- Frank Bananeras
- Wallersterein World Systems
- James Warfare in the American Homeland
- Clare Exile and Pride
- Incite! The Color of Violence
- Jaggar “A Feminist Critique of the Alleged Southern Debt” (with a note saying, please consider this as a model for dealing with both the college loan debt crisis and the housing crisis)
- DeRose Whose Hungry?
- Williams American Method
- Gedicks Dirty Gold
- Valentine Imagining Transgender
- Waterson Love, Sorrow, and Rage
- Abelda and Withorn Lost Ground
- Sudbury Ed. Global Lockdown: Race, Gender, and The Prison Industrial Complex.
- Halley Don’t
- Sing, Whisper, Shout Pray
- Hartmann Reproductive Rights and Wrongs
- Diaz-Gotto Chicana Lives and Criminal Justice.
- James Voices Rising
- Lindsay-Poland Emperors in the Jungle
- Zavella. Women and Migration
- Mcreery Out Front
- Ehrenreich Nickle and Dimed (I don’t really like the privileged premise of this book but it does lay things out simply, interestingly, and with the necessary info about what it is like to be poor in America)
I would also gift him the following films and documentaries
- Maid in America
- Motherland Afghanistan
- Anonymously Yours
- Something Like a War
- No Place Like Home
- Save Me
- NPR series on Sexual Abuse of Native American women here and here
- Our House
- Baby Steps
- Return to Kandahar
Jess, roped into this meme b/c of her thoughtful post, agreed that this one should be on the list:
- Shiva Soil not Oil
You may have noted many of these books come from Southend Press.😀
I tap the following people to keep the process of consciousness-raising with the Pres and his cabinet, going
- Melissa Harris Lacewell and/or Yolanda Pierce (I really hope they do this meme, but they probably won’t)
- I was going to ask vivir latino but they put up a password . . . grr . . .
- and I would say gay prof, b/c I’d probably want to rush right out and buy what I don’t have of his list, but you know . . . he hasn’t done the other two memes I put him on yet. ayy mi gente